Brookline Business Research | Part 2: The Data
Hello people!
Recently, I visited businesses in Brookline to better understand how policies are affecting them. I asked a wide range of local shops to better represent the diverse Brookline landscape, including restaurants (casual and sit-down), cafes, specialty stores, and supermarkets. While I cannot provide specific information about some of the businesses in my sample due to a desire to remain anonymous, what I have below is data worth looking into more deeply.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Data
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now What?
I will delve deeper into my interpretation of this data in a future blog post. Analyzing this could help me understand the disparities in the support for Brookline's local businesses. I want to learn more about the divide between support systems for larger and smaller companies. I can infer that larger corporations struggle less from new policies or supply chain issues because they have more support. (i.e., algorithms to help source desired imports for the lowest prices). But does that mean that support for Brookline's local businesses is lacking?
While much is unknown, it is evident that policies like tariffs are affecting my community. When I walked through the bustling streets of Brookline, North and South, entering shop after shop and experiencing the unique, vibrant atmosphere of each, I realized my desire to preserve them. Local shops give Brookline its character. Nowhere in a big corporation would you see owners serving as cashiers, classmates serving as workers, or specialty products being sold by a nearby farm. These local small businesses define Brookline's identity and community, and losing them could erode aspects of that identity that make Brookline unique.
Comments
Post a Comment