My Time so far in The Coding Schools Research Program
I've been in the Data Science Research Program hosted by The Coding School, where I've learned a ton about the data science process.
Here's the process in case you're interested:
1. Data Cleaning: removed null and missing values, filtering price outliers that skewed the data.
2. Exploratory Data Analysis (EDA): a viewing phase where you look for cool insights in the data that you can explore through functions, plots, and further visualization techniques.
3. Statistical Analysis: Developing a null and alternative hypothesis, basically just a claim through the data that does not correlate (Ex, People who study more will not have a significantly higher grade on the final exam) and one that correlates (Ex, People who study more will have a significantly higher grade on the final exam). We can test for significance using a variety of tests, including T-tests, ANOVA, and Tukey's HSD. This will help you decide whether to approve/reject the null hypothesis based on the p-values they produce, but I won't go into too much detail because it is pretty complicated.
4. ML modeling: Once you've accepted/rejected the null hypothesis, you can see if the predictability of your data vs your desired target variable. For example, using the earlier claim, if you found that studying more improved final exam scores, you can use a linear regression model to see how a linear function can predict scores based solely on study duration. You can train the model on 80% of the data, allowing it to see how studying affects the score, then test it on the remaining 20%.
5. Evaluating your model: This step can help you understand the effectiveness of your model. You can do this using tools like R², mean squared error (MSE), and mean absolute error (MAE), along with a scatter plot comparing your model to the actual data.
Anyways, going back to the program, although it is rigorous, I find it incredibly insightful because I understand the importance of what I am doing. Learning the fundamentals of matplotlib, pandas, seaborn, and sklearn helps me visualize what life is like as a data scientist. Through the program, I've also had the opportunity to speak with established experts, including those from Google, Harvard, Apple, and even the US Navy. These guest speakers provide real-world implications of data science, and the diverse range of speakers helps me understand how data can benefit any business, person, or country.
We have now started the research section of the program, which runs for the final 3 weeks. I have a mentor who provides advice on my project and argument, along with a TA for specific debugging issues. I can't wait to share my results, but I first have to finalize my paper and present my results.
Comments
Post a Comment