Hello, and thank you for checking out my blog! My name is Avyaya, a student at Brookline High School in Massachusetts. As you probably noticed from the title of my blog, I am interested in data, particularly how it can affect and change our lives. Through policy, I aim to convey my thoughts on these topics through a data-driven lens. This is my first blog post, but I have a lot I want to discuss, documenting my learning, and delving deeper into other topics I love. However, today, I want to address an issue that's currently affecting Brookline. Tariffs have affected the place I call home, affecting local businesses that remain special to the community.
For some background, Brookline is a suburb of Boston. It's technically a town, but it's a city, with its unique local shops, vibrant culture, and diverse community. The area features a range of environments, from the quiet, peaceful south, with large homes, lovely parks, and a population of older retirees, to the bustling north, with vibrant streets and endless entertainment options. While the community is diverse, we are whole. Recent tariff calls have put pressure on restaurants and small businesses in the greater Boston area. When our local shops are facing issues, we feel it too.
So, what is a tariff? A tariff is a tax imposed on goods imported from another country. They are often used to protect domestic industries from foreign competition and encourage the purchase of goods within local markets. While, in theory, this practice can be beneficial, it can hurt industries that rely heavily on imports. For example, if a company wishes to source spices from India and the government imposes a 20% tariff on those imports, the company must pay the 20% tax to import the goods. In response, many companies either change suppliers or pass the increased costs on to consumers.
An article in The Daily Free Press, an independent student newspaper at Boston University, stated that tariff policies "could spike the price of eating out, as some believe restaurants will pay significantly more to outsource certain goods from foreign countries." While large corporations like McDonald's can manage, it's the small ones that get hit the hardest. According to the Brookline Chamber of Commerce, over 75% of small businesses in the area rely on at least one imported product. For those businesses, tariffs are not just an obstacle; they eat into profits that they cannot handle. Businesses that have been in the Brookline area for decades can be severely impacted, including removing products, laying off workers, and potentially even being forced to close.
There is more to this problem, so I will collect the necessary data to gain a deeper understanding of the tariff impacts. If we understand what is happening, we can aim to address the issue plaguing Brookline's local businesses.
Comments
Post a Comment